[GRASS5] ANN: GRASS on iPAQ/Linux available

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue May 7 05:50:47 EDT 2002

GRASS on handhelds

Jan Stankovic and me may announce that (baby)GRASS is
running now on iPAQ/Linux:

http://grass.itc.it/grasshandheld.html

With kind help of Nick Duffek <nick.duffek at compaq.com> we
got binaries compiled on ipaq3.handhelds.org (this are
new machines, in parallel to the Skiff cluster).

The code (not stripped) needs 2.4MB and currently includes:

d.erase d.measure d.mon d.pan d.rast d.sites d.vect d.what.rast d.what.sites
d.what.vect d.zoom g.copy g.gisenv g.list g.region g.remove g.rename
r.in.ascii s.in.ascii
XDRIVER

More modules can be easily added in
handheld/babyGRASS_packagingsrc.sh

For compilation (GRASS shared libs) there is
handheld/babyGRASS_compile.sh

Notes:
- The flag to gcc "-gstabs" made it binary compliant (I don't know why
  but it works).
- the src/libes/dig_atts/ compiles now without problems, subsequently
  all vector modules are compilable
- we have to look again at d.zoom to get the 1-button mode working
  (it runs on iX86/Linux, but not on iPAQ)
- the gcc on ipaq3.handhelds.org is very sensitive to warnings,
  even if indicated as warning during compile time, linking will fail.
  Means: ipaq3.handhelds.org is a platform to find such warnings...
- we still do not get "debugging symbols" present, but anyway - GRASS
  is working now

Kudos to Glynn Clements for his efforts on shared libraries.

Enjoy

 Markus