[GRASS5] Re: [GRASS-CVS] CVS update: grass/src/raster/r.tiff

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Tue May 7 22:21:09 EDT 2002

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 08:50:18AM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
[snip]
> You may want to look at r.in.gdal, the group file handling is already
> implemented there.
>
> In general - do we want to maintain r.in.tiff when r.in.gdal does more
> or less the same (eventually group file handling must be added explicitely
> for RGB, if needed)? r.in.gdal writes a group file when GCPs are found
> within SAR data (CEOS2 driver). This might be "easily" extended to also
> generate GCPs from a TFW file.

I think it's worthwhile to maintain r.in.tiff for the 5.0 series.  We
can decide later if we want to keep it in 5.1.

As far as group handling and GCP's, it should be easy enough, I just
haven't looked at how to do it.  Calculating GCP's from the TFW is
straight forward (probably I'd do three corners, for a suitable linear
transform).  GCP's are only desirable when the rotation/shearing
terms of the affine parameters are non-zero (which is unusual).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>