[GRASS5] $LOCATION or not $LOCATION ?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed May 15 17:28:31 EDT 2002

Helena wrote:

> > Note that the above example would have worked before the settings were
> > removed from Init.sh. However, anything which used the environment
> > variables (e.g. tcltkgrass, nviz, and most scripts) would continue to
> > use the settings with which the session was started.
>
> this is really confusing and if we want to keep the change it needs to be
> clearly
> explained at a prominent place when downloading the new release. Do I
> understand
> it correctly that in the previous example if I do
>
> nviz nations
>
> the map won't be there because nviz would still use the original LOCATION?
>
> Do the current scripts released with GRASS which use $LOCATION work
> correctly? -
> or what is the correct behavior - as I understand it they would use the
> original LOCATION
> and not the one set by g.gisenv?
> Or am I completely missing something here?

Anything which was found to be dependent upon the environment
variables was fixed. AFAIK, this includes everything in src/scripts,
plus tcltkgrass and nviz.

However, I can't absolutely rule out the possibility that something
may have slipped through the net. Now that you mention it, I recall
Markus mentioning a Perl script which needed fixing; I don't recall
the outcome, though.