[GRASS5] $LOCATION or not $LOCATION ?

Roger Miller rgrmill at rt66.com
Wed May 15 19:42:34 EDT 2002

i responded to this thread hours ago, but it didn't make it onto the list.

I'm not sure why $LOCATION would cause problems for multiple sessions in
GRASS.  I can see a problem if multiple sessions are implemented as
simultaneous threads (which would be difficult at best).  If instead multiple
sessions are implemented so that the user switches from session to session
and only one session is actually running at one time then it is only
necessary to change the definition of $LOCATION when the user switches
sessions.

I have been using multiple sessions with my manager module.  Each session has
its own monitor, window region and gis environment.  When the user changes
from one session to another the monitor, window region and gis environment
are all changed by the manager.  The command that switches sessions also
makes it possible to change $LOCATION.

That works well in the bash shell.  Other user environments might be more
problematic.  Also, I don't think I use any of the scripts (nviz in
particular) that depend on $LOCATION, so in my case having $LOCATION is just
a convenience for the command line and/or user scripts.

Roger Miller