[GRASS5] $LOCATION or not $LOCATION ?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu May 16 16:17:26 EDT 2002

Bob Covill wrote:

> Are the changes to the environment variables documented anywhere?

No. OTOH, the original semantics weren't documented anywhere either.

Most of the documentation regarding these settings which I have seen
is incorrect. It usually refers to "environment" variables, even
though anything which is written in C uses G_getenv(), which has
nothing to do with the environment. It's arguable that the function
should be renamed; people are bound to assume that, like getenv(), it
has something to do with the environment.

> The reason I am asking is related to NVIZ. I have just finished
> modifying ogsf to accept fully qualifid raster names (rasters from other
> mapsets -- eg. nviz e=raster at mapset2). Hopefully this is not redundant.
> My next step is to modify the TCL stuff to pickup and pass on fully
> qualified names.

It shouldn't affect NVIZ. The NVIZ startup script ($GISBASE/bin/nviz)
was changed to reflect GISDBASE, LOCATION_NAME and MAPSET into the
environment prior to actually invoking NVWISH2.2.

So, the only impact should be that the values of $MAPSET etc will be
those which were in effect at the time that "nviz" was run, rather
than at the time the GRASS session was started.

Ideally, NVIZ should be G_getenv() for these settings ("nm" indicates
that it's already using G_getenv() for something).