[GRASS5] another approach to i18n for tcltkgrass; former one revoked

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon May 20 09:15:45 EDT 2002

Alex Shevlakov wrote:

> it seems that the method proposed before for i18n tcltkgrass has a
> major flaw, that is to load a huge file with messages and parse them
> makes tcltkgrass slow.

Are you referring to the startup, or to normal operation?

BTW, is the "msgcat" package written in Tcl, or does it use the
functions from libintl/libc?

> This is why using msgcat for the purpose of i18n seems to me not a
> good choice now.
>
> Another method would be to place the translated script 'menu.tcl' and
> modules scripts to src/locale/$LCL/tcltkgrass directory and copy them
> if they are needed to $GISBASE/tcltkgrass.

That would mean that the locale was fixed at install time; it should
be determined at run time, according to $LANG or $LC_MESSAGES.

Also, the generation of the translated scripts needs to be automatic.
If a developer makes any changes to tcltkgrass, they shouldn't have to
change multiple versions.