[GRASS5] [bug #1891] (grass) s.in.dbf behavior erratic

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Thu May 22 16:26:13 EDT 2003

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=1891

Subject: s.in.dbf behavior erratic

Platform: Other (Mac OSX)
grass obtained from: Other (Fink)
grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
GRASS Version: 5.0.2

I did a search on the bug list and didn't find anything, so I am going to go ahead and ask about
s.in.dbf.

I've tried this with extremely variable results. I have tried some test to get a feel for how it works
and where problems lie, but it doesn't seem to be entirely consistent.

I am trying to import dbf files with quite a few attributes (e.g., a dozen or so) that include string
and numeric types (integer and decimal). The easting and northing are the first 2 fields, and I
have tried rearranging the others in various ways.

1. Often I get a segmentation error. This _seems_ to be occurring when there are empty fields in
some records. But it may occur in other unclear circumstances also

2. Sometimes the data import, the sites show up in the right place, but the other data fields are
blank. If I look at the actual text file created by GRASS for sites, it shows the E/N coordinates
and most of the text fields. The numeric fields all show up as %0.

I have never been able to successfully import a dbf file AND get all the relevant attribute data for
each site.

This seems to be a bug. However, I suppose it is possible (not clear in the manual--to me at
least) that s.in.dbf is designed to only import E/W coordinates and a single text field.

Am I misunderstanding something? Thanks for your help.

Michael Barton