[GRASS5] Fwd: (fink) Gdal package-missing ogr?

William K woklist at charter.net
Mon Sep 15 13:51:26 EDT 2003

Well, I can't say perfect - there's much I haven't tried yet, and I've
run into a couple snags, but so far it's working great.  Here's some
thoughts:

Mac OS 10.2.6, and I'm using the GCC 3.3 update, no Fink (I'm a
do-it-yourselfer).

- no problems building proj.4  v4.4.7

- GDAL 1.1.9  Similar to the build instructions you have, I also have
to tweak the GDAL make opt.  I also add the ranlib to the makefile, so
I can let it run all the way thru without a break.  I've also had an
issue with libgrass (I use GDAL with mapserver as well, so it needs
libgrass): GRASS won't build if GDAL has libgrass, so I need to build
two copies of GDAL and swap them when building GRASS.  Otherwise, seems
to work with GRASS.

- I'm only using GRASS 5.3 CVS, not 5.7, so I can't try v.in.ogr.
Something for me to look into - I'm interested in the improved vector
engine.

- I have to disable r3.showdspf.openGL in the g3d module for the module
to build (recent comments suggest this is broken, since the --with-glw
config option is supposed to be needed to build that command).  Other
than this, the GRASS build is pretty smooth now.

- I can't get the tcltkgrass to work - it crashes after the select
mapset dialog.  It's not a big priority for me, but I should look into
it (esp. before I check out NVIZ).

I started working on detailed Mac OS X build instructions a few weeks
ago, but got distracted.  I have some free time this week, so maybe
I'll finish that and get it on the web.

On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 07:44  PM, Eric Schermer wrote:

> Markus,
>
> I sent the below message to Matt Stephenson, the OS X FINK gdal
> package maintainer.  I did not test to see if ogr and PROJ4 work, but
> I will this weekend once I re-install my fink grass package.  I would
> like to be able to import some USGS data I've had sitting on my
> computer for a year now but I'm having difficulty even finding enough
> description of the files' boundries projections, etc, to be able to
> even setup the correct location and region settings in GRASS.  I think
> I tried v.in.ogr six months ago and it seems like I did get an ogr
> and/or PROJ4 error message, but maybe my DLG files aren't importable
> by gdal anyway..
>
> Gdal 1.8.0-2 was updated 8/2/03 so perhaps Matt has already fixed this.
>
> I included instructions I got six months ago on compiling gdal on OS
> X, from Aymeric GILLAIZEAU.  If anyone out there has a grass build
> that works perfectly on OS X please let me know.

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at charter.net>
http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect
RIP Douglas Adams 1952-2001