[GRASS5] [bug #2133] (grass) Can't compile with readline and openmotif on Rh9

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Sep 25 19:34:07 EDT 2003

Request Tracker wrote:

> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2133
>
> Subject: Can't compile with readline and openmotif on Rh9
>
> Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
> grass obtained from: Mirror of Trento site
> grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
>
> Hi I compiled grass 5.0.2 on a linux box with red hat 9 updated with
> apt at this day and I picked up all last version libraries grass could
> use.. like motif and readline correctly installed on my distribution
> but configure don't see them and all --with-motif-dirs and similar
> parameters don't work...
>
> I removed from compilatio with --without-xxxx and I compile correctly
> but when I start grass5 and put project name italy, location
> /tmp/location and gisdbase /tmp/gisdbase/

The database (GISDBASE) is a path; the location and mapset are just
names, which shouldn't contain any / characters.

> I have this error... is there some connect of them?

> 1999-2002 by the GRASS Development Team, and licensed under terms of the
> GNU General Public License (GPL).
>
> This GRASS 5.0.2 release is coordinated and produced by the
> GRASS Development Team headquartered at ITC-irst (Trento, Italy) with
> worldwide support and further development sites located at Baylor
> University and the University of Illinois (U.S.A.).
>
> This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
> WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
> MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
> General Public License for more details.
>
> This version running thru the Bash Shell (/bin/bash)
> Help is available with the command:      g.help
> See the licence terms with:              g.version -c
> Start the graphical user interface with: tcltkgrass&
> When ready to quit enter:                exit
> GRASS:~/packages/grass5.0.2 > g.version
> ERROR: program 'g.version' cannot be executed because: Neither a command
>        line (cmd) or interactive (inter) version was found
> GRASS:~/packages/grass5.0.2 > g.help
> ERROR: program 'g.help' cannot be executed because: Neither a command line
>        (cmd) or interactive (inter) version was found

Is GISBASE set correctly in the grass5 script? Beneath $GISBASE, there
should be subdirectories etc/bin/cmd and etc/bin/inter which contain
the actual executables.

> Configured:
> ./configure  --without-odbc --with-includes=/usr/include/ --with-tcltk --with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/ --without-fftw --with-freetype --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype1/freetype/ --with-blas --with-lapack --with-nls --without-glw --without-motif --with-fftw --without-readline --without-dbm

1. You shouldn't specify /usr/include as an argument to any of the
--with-*-includes switches. The compiler should search /usr/include
automatically; specifying it explicitly may cause it to be searched
before e.g. /usr/lib/gcc-lib/<arch>/<version>/include, which can have
undesirable consequences.

2. The following switches are redundant:

--with-tcltk
--with-fftw
--without-glw
--without-motif
--without-readline
--without-dbm

Tcl/Tk and FFTW are enabled by default, while the others are disabled
by default.

3. You specified both --with-fftw and --without-fftw.

4. This:

--with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype1/freetype/

wont work, as d.text.freetype requires FreeType 2.x.

> make and make install from root
>
> i have openmotif.. I think will be need openmotif-devel for compile
> grass with it?

Motif is only required for xganim and r3.showdspf.openGL; nothing else
uses it.

> I have readline of red hat 9 installed but it doesn't found it ...
> readline and readline-devel rpm from rh cdroms

This is usually because the readline library requires another library
(typically libtermap, libtinfo or libncurses), but it isn't listed
among the library's dependencies. r.mapcalc will use readline if it is
enabled, but can work without it; nothing else uses readline.