[GRASS5] New info on openDWG

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Mon Aug 30 09:24:02 EDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 01:59:57PM +0200, Radim Blazek wrote:
> But OpenDWG DOES NOT have any restriction like 'only for non-commercial'!
> You are trying to make an impression that OpenDWG is only
> for 'non-commercial', I just pointed out that it is not true.
> I don't care about definition of 'non-commercial', I don't need that.

I don't try to make an impression. It is the impression I got myself:

In his email Michael cited the OpenDWG web site with the
phrase "... permitted the distribution of the libraries in
software that is distributed free of charge."

Thats what I set equal to non-commercial. Well, debatable.

Furthermore, Michael cited a phone conversation with Aaron Dahlberg
of the Open Design Alliance: "He assured me that
the alliance's intent was only to restrict or control commercial use of
their libraries, not use in educational or free software."

It's debatable, but I would say that Mr. Dahlberg does not
know the definition of Free Software and would not have inlcuded
Free Software in his statement. I am pretty sure he meant proprietary
gratis software (aka freeware).

The rest of the statement of Mr. Dahlberg supports my impression
regarding the aspect of "non-commercial".

I would be happy to learn that indeed OpenDWG can be used
for commercial Free Software projects!
(I don't have the time to find out myself).

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH                      http://intevation.de/
FreeGIS                                http://freegis.org/