[GRASS5] D.vect.graph problem

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 03:53:31 EDT 2004

> I want to re-report a problem with d.vect.graph.
>
> I have a point file in GRASS 5.7 (binaries from 22-07-2004 on Mac OSX
> 10.3.5). It displays fine in a UTM location.
>
> If run d.vect.graph and I select a bar graph, all works fine.
>
> If I select a pie chart, my computer slows to a crawl--all processes,
> not just GRASS. Once I managed to get some of the pie graphs,
> including a partly drawn graph before the computer dropped to low
> gear. I checked processes on this once and GRASS was eating up nearly
> all the processing power and available memory. I literally have to do
> a hard restart on the computer to get control of it again.
>
> I did NOT set a pie chart size column (it says optional). I left the
> rest at the default or the settings that worked fine for bar graphs.

Works for me in Linux.

Sounds like a memory leak, how many points are you displaying?

When you say "GRASS was eating up nearly all the processing power and
available memory" do you mean the d.vect.chart program specifically?

hint:
Try running 'top' in another terminal window. You can watch the
process go haywire and then press "k" and enter its PID to kill it.
'pkill d.vect.chart' might help too. 'xkill' is the most fun of course.
If it fails to die, you can send it stronger signals. see the kill help
pages.

Hamish