[GRASS5] HELP: grass on an 64bit x86 system

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Tue Jun 8 08:19:09 EDT 2004

On Monday 07 June 2004 19:16, Soeren Gebbert wrote:
> * vectorfiles(grass5.0.x format) from projects created on 32bit machines
>   are not viewable with d.vect and not convertable, i get the error that
>   long is 8byte (thats true, its a 64bit machine) and that i have to run
>   v.support, ok but after running several times v.support (with no
>   problems) the same error is reported
>
> * vectors (grass5.0.x format) created on the 64bit machine don't make any
>   problems, but don't work on 32bit systems :-(

That's known feature/bug, 5.0 vectors are not portable AFAIK
(if long int is 8 bytes I think?).
I would appreciate if you could test if 5.7 vectors are portable 32<->64
without problems, I have never had access to 64 machine.
Desirable is also to edit (v.digit) a vector created on one platform on another
and then to read on both.

Radim