[GRASS5] Polygons in GRASS

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sat Oct 16 16:06:22 EDT 2004

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, DrakeGis wrote:

> Hi,
>  I really love how GRASS is working, but I have some problems
>
> 1) I'm trying to digitilize polygons with GRASS 5, I use v.digit but the
> results were not polygons...

Did the areas not snap closed properly? Make sure the scale of your map is
set properly in the vector map header details (the first think you are
asked to update in v.digit) as if it is wrong the snapping threshold in
v.digit will not be a useful value. If your polygons contain lines and not
area edges (i.e. boundaries) use v.line2area to fix that.

> 2) I have, in this way, a set of ShapeFiles, that I want to put together
> in only one vector file, I use v.path after import the shapefiles but the
> problem is that I miss the "identity" of each polygon, by using r.what I
> realize that now they have the same name.... Any suggestions ? How can I

There is no easy way to work around that. You have to make sure that all
your vector entities have unique attribute ID numbers before patching them
together.

Paul