[GRASS5] Solaris9 test of 5.4

Gordon Keith gordon.keith at csiro.au
Tue Oct 26 18:09:30 EDT 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:44, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Gordon Keith wrote:
> > It would be nice if grass was also a simple configure; make; make
> > install. If configure would look for postgress in /usr/local/pgsql and
> > include /usr/ sfw/{include,lib} on solaris it would be good.
>
> The configure script used to autodetect directories; we took that
> feature out because it tended to find things which broke the build,
> making it impossible for some users to build GRASS.

OK, sounds reasonable.

I still think ./configure; make; make install should work inmost cases, at
least for a stable release (5.4).

Currently there seems to be two problems:
1) you need to create and use a separate build directory
2) postgres puts it's bits in /usr/local/pgsql instead of /usr/local

I know nothing about how to fix 1 but would it be possible to create a default
build directory and use it unless a switch is provided (eg --build-dir=)

With 2 it would be good if either the default build was --without-postgres or
configure looked for postgres files under /usr/local/pgsql. I suspect the
former may be cleaner. If you have to specify postgress include and lib
switches then having to provide --with-postgress makes sense.

Just my $0.02 as someone who only installs grass occassionaly and would really
like to be able to just install it without having to figure out all the
configure switches first.

Regards
Gordon
--

Gordon Keith
Programmer/Data Analyst

The world and everything in it that people desire is passing away;
but he who does the will of God lives for ever.
  -- 1 John 2:17