[GRASS5] TINs as 3D vectors

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Tue Apr 19 06:33:59 EDT 2005

Pieter Bos wrote:
> Hmm, indeed, it does not, which means it can't be distributed with
> GRASS. But should be ok to just use/distribute it as a add-on module
> separately, as this is a separate program (right?). Not an ideal
> solution indeed. Would have to email the author to find out. We're using
> it for research purposes, which is allowed.

Hopefully you convince him to release Triangle under some decent
license. TIN is general task which should be included in standard GRASS
package.

> Conversion from Raster to TIN is not directly done, however, Triangle
> handles a square grid of points just fine. I haven't tried r.to.vect,
> but it looks like it can convert raster data to a vectormap with a point
> for every pixel in the map, which is what is needed as input. It is
> possible to simplify the surface a bit by removing adjacent triangles in
> the same plane and replacing them by fewer triangles. This is currently
> being finished.

It would be nice to have it in one module (r.to.tin) to avoid large
vector before simplification, it is simple to read points from raster.

> With very small modifications it's possible to triangulate contour lines
> as well.
>
> Triangle works on quite large datasets, it should be able to handle a
> million points in less than 20 seconds on a pentium II, according to the
> Triangle website. However, GRASS will take quite a while building
> topology in this case and will create huge files. Haven't tried anything
> this big. We tried using some ascii raster data files and it worked
> fine, but these only have about 55000-70000 points with a data value.
> V.delaunay already has problems with this kind of amounts of data.
>
> Data is stored in the same way as v.delaunay does it - GRASS format, an
> area for every triangle. We didn't want to limit the use of other
> modules with the data. It's far from ideal, however, real TIN support in
> GRASS would be much faster, but also cost a lot of time to implement.
>
> The alpha-shapes algorithm can be used to create triangulations that do
> not form the convex hull of the set of points. It takes as input a
> delaunay triangulation and creates a subset of the triangulation that
> will look like the 'shape' of a set of points, using one parameter,
> which defines the detail of the shape. This parameter can be set
> automatically as well to include every point in at least one triangle,
> which gives quite ok results. It works very well if you're using data
> with a more or less regular sample density. This is completely written
> by us because no suitable other implementation was found. No problems
> with any license here. However, you would need some module to create a
> delaunay triangulation, v.delaunay works fine for small datasets...

Sounds good, do you have anything which can generate contours from TIN?

Radim