[GRASS5] Re: POST_INSTALL.sh URL reference inaccurate, GRASS5.4 release branches, etc.

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu May 19 17:29:31 EDT 2005

Hello Scott

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Scott Mitchell wrote:

> I THINK the fix would mean creating a new compilation_hints.html in the
> grass54 directory in the web server, then checking out / updating
> releasebranch_5_4 grass, and fixing the URL reference in POST_INSTALL.sh to
> point to the new compilation hints document, instead of
> http://grass.itc.it/grass50/source/compilation_hints.html
>
> Yes?  The bit I'm not certain about is where in CVS I find the suitable code
> to be released as 5.4.1, and what the HEAD is for.

That sounds like a good plan. To get the release branch just check out the
grass cvs module with as follows:
cvs -z3 co -r releasebranch_5_4 grass
releasebranch_5_4 will be a sticky tag and any files you commit within
that checked out tree will go onto the release branch.
If you've plenty of bandwidth and disk space you can maintain separate
HEAD and release branch trees. Or if you just want to change that one file
check it out as
cvs co -r releasebranch_5_4 grass/src/CMD/generic/POST_INSTALL.sh
and the sticky tag will mean any commited changes go onto the release
branch.

> Is HEAD for testing bug fixes to the 5.4 line in general, and then if they do
> what they should, they go in to the release branch, and then after 5.4.1 is
> released, it all sticks around for bug fixes that could eventually lead to
> 5.4.2 ?

That's as good an explanation as any I've heard, although the HEAD is
fairly unmaintained at this stage (in saying that the release branch could
be better maintained but that is mostly my fault ;) ).

> Slowly, slowly, understanding more...  if I understand this correctly I
> can at least do better at helping with cleaning up old READMEs, web
> pages, etc.

Yes, a good idea. I tried to do a bit of that for all the prominent
documents new users were likely to read, before the 5.4.0 release but
missed out many I'm sure.

Paul