[GRASS-dev] Re: winGRASS

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Dec 11 10:18:05 EST 2006

Hello Paul,
(cc'ing this to the list, so that Paul is not alone...)

On 09/12/06 15:56, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Hello Moritz
>
> On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>
>> Hello Paul,
>>
>> I'm finally sitting in front of a Windows computer trying to compile
>> GRASS
>> myself.
>>
>> On Thu, November 23, 2006 12:38, Paul Kelly wrote:
>>>
>>> I had a look at that site; certainly lots of useful information on
>>> building there. E.g. I don't expect they will have the stripped-down XDR
>>> or GDAL or PROJ, and they were the biggest challenges to build properly
>>> anyway.
>>
>> At this stage I just used ./configure;make;make install, just to see
>> whether everything seems to work.
>> I imagine I will need to do some more tweaking, would happen to have
>> recorded your configure settings somewhere ?
>
> For the other software, no net yet. Some of it I think I just used the
> Makefiles as the configure script wasn't working on Windows. But I
> intend to re-build it all from scratch very soon and will take proper
> notes then.

I've tried to build GRASS having just compiled the other libraries with
configure&make&make install.

I get the following error:

c:/Moritz/gdal-cvs-2006.12.07/libgdal.la: file not recognized: File
format not recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: ***
[/c/moritz/grass6/dist.i686-pc-mingw32/lib/libgrass_gproj.6.3.cvs.dll]
Error 1

and

c:/Moritz/gdal-cvs-2006.12.07/libgdal.la: file not recognized: File
format not recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: ***
[/c/moritz/grass6/dist.i686-pc-mingw32/lib/libgrass_vect.6.3.cvs.dll]
Error 1

which then obviously leads to many errors afterwards.

I have attached the entire make log and the libgdal.la file.

Any ideas of what is wrong with the .la file ?

Also, I've seen some debate on cross-compiling lately. If this is
reasonably easy, it would make life easier for me as I would not have to
wait for my colleague's windows machine to be free...

Moritz