[GRASS-dev] Re: updates to grass startup

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Dec 13 22:09:19 EST 2006

Just a note regarding my experiences with testing various startup
options
with the new data set.
It worked from the existing file smoothly, EPSG code did not work -
but I think
that the recently submitted fixes from Maris should have fixed the
problem (I will
update and test). The third option, leading to the old, text based
interface
did not work for sp and ll but that was fixed too.

But the main reason I am writing is that when working with locations
created
from the file or EPSG, the region is set to default 1,1,1 (as opposed
to the
"old way" when you are required to set the default region for the new
location).
This is OK if you are experienced user and you know that you have
to import something with option to expand the region to this file or
to define
a meaningful  "starting region" using g.region, but it may be
confusing for new users.
And what I found very inconvenient was the fact already mentioned
some time ago,
that you are stuck with 1,1,1 default region unless you edit the file
manually
as there is no tool to modify the default region. Normally I don't
use the default
region, but in this case I was using many different regions as I was
importing
different types of data and it would have been nice to have a region
to get back to.

Maybe just modifying the message that you get when creating the region
from file or EPSG that you need to "restart grass and define your
region using
g.region" would be helpful. Of course, automatically importing the
file and setting
region to its extent would be the best solution for the "new location
from file"
option, becuase then the user has a new location and can display the
map right away.

It is great to see this long neglected part of GRASS moving forward

Helena