[GRASS-dev] [bug #4563] (grass) g.version should show finer precision timestamp other than just year

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 11 23:08:20 EDT 2006

> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=4563
>
> Subject: g.version should show finer precision timestamp other than
> just year
>
> Platform: GNU/Linux/x86
> grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
> grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
> GRASS Version: 6.1 CVS checked out 2006-06-09
>
> Would it be possible for g.version to show more detailed information
> about /when/ the Grass version was compiled? This would be very useful
> for example on machines where multiple Grass cvs versions are
> installed, and the user is unsure of what particular cvs brand they
> are working with. In this respect, g.version reporting "Grass 6.1 cvs
> (2006)" isn't really telling the user a whole lot.

I would like to see this too, but "GRASS 6.1-cvs built yyyy-mm-dd"
doesn't tell you much. Maybe it is an old snapshot which is rebuilt on a
newer date? Maybe have CVS server "touch; update" or "date > cvs.date"
a file in the CVS which the build system could include in the devel
version string, instead of just a hard-coded year?

Hamish