[GRASS5] Wishes and GUI code cleanup patch

Cedric Shock cedricgrass at shockfamily.net
Mon Mar 13 13:15:57 EST 2006

Hi,

If anyone else has any wishes for the generic GUI, now is a good time to kick
them around here.

On Monday 13 March 2006 02:30, benducke at compuserve.de wrote:

> Excellent work!
> May I suggest one little addition:
> it would be great to have different coloured
> titles or even little icons for commands
> from the r.* v.* r3.* etc sections.
> On a screen full of command GUIs this would
> make finding the right one a lot easier.

Excellent idea. I'm already considering adding something like
$(GISBASE)/etc/icon that will be looked in for an icon for individual
commands (named something like r.in.gdal-.gif). I haven't put very much
thought into it yet. If/when I get there I'll check for generic icons too,
like r.in-.gif or r-.gif. I'm also planning on hijacking some of those nice
icons from Michael's work to use for some open existing prompts instead of
">".

> Also, it would be nice to have all optional
> parameters at the end of the list/in a different
> font or even only displayed when wanted
> (sth. like a "show all options" tickbox?)

I'm trying simple, more conventional layouts first. That (string; required)
stuff is definitely going to get right-justified at the least. A tree that
starts with only required options expanded by default and an expand all
button would definitely be something a gui could do.

> One last thing: a history funtion to recall the
> last settings in a GUI form since reopening it
> would make life so much easier ...

Do you mean window size (which would be a gui side thing) or loading options
(which could be a parser thing, a gui thing, or even a third party thing)?
I'm nowhere near this sort of step yet, but having the parser still parse the
options when the gui command line switches are used seems like a compelling
idea and would make it easy for third party utilities to open the gui with
specific options selected already.

--Cedric Shock