[GRASS5] New gui.tcl generic user interface

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Mar 17 15:53:54 EST 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> >> 1) using r.profile and TclTk charts to create a new terrain profile utility
> >> that would replace d.profile, produce postscript text and graphics, and not
> >> need x11.
> >
> > That would be nice, but v.digit is probably the most urgent candidate
> > for replacement, followed by i.points.
>
> I agree that these are more important. But they take rewriting the relevant
> C code, so someone other than me will need to work on this.

I would have thought that you could get a usable v.digit replacement
using only Tcl/Tk, v.in.ascii and a few other GRASS commands.

> > More generally, in order to be able to show existing vector maps in a
> > Tk canvas, we need a way to export vectors to a usable text format.
> >
> > v.out.ascii has the (major) drawback that areas are output as disjoint
> > segments which the application then has to piece together to form
> > closed polygons. AFAICT, currently the only tool which provides
> > polygons is v.out.pov, but that loses all of the structural
> > information.
>
> If solved, this would produce the kind of high quality vector output that
> many people wish for.

Unfortunately, I don't really know enough about the vector API to do
this myself.

AFAICT, the main issue is that v.out.ascii uses
Vect_set_open_level(1), whereas an application which displays filled
areas needs level 2.