[GRASS5] New gui.tcl generic user interface

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Mar 17 17:32:29 EST 2006

> From: Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:53:54 +0000
> To: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>
> Cc: <grass5 at grass.itc.it>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS5] New gui.tcl generic user interface

>>> That would be nice, but v.digit is probably the most urgent candidate
>>> for replacement, followed by i.points.
>>
>> I agree that these are more important. But they take rewriting the relevant
>> C code, so someone other than me will need to work on this.
>
> I would have thought that you could get a usable v.digit replacement
> using only Tcl/Tk, v.in.ascii and a few other GRASS commands.

You need to be able to display a vector in such a way that it can be
manipulated in a canvas (see your issue below), then add, delete, or change
the coordinates of vector nodes, selecting them interactively with a mouse.
You also need to be able to add/delete centroids of areas, and join them to
tables. I've thought about this a little and don't think that there any
GRASS tools available to do this...yet.

Michael

>>> More generally, in order to be able to show existing vector maps in a
>>> Tk canvas, we need a way to export vectors to a usable text format.
>>>
>>> v.out.ascii has the (major) drawback that areas are output as disjoint
>>> segments which the application then has to piece together to form
>>> closed polygons. AFAICT, currently the only tool which provides
>>> polygons is v.out.pov, but that loses all of the structural
>>> information.
>>
>> If solved, this would produce the kind of high quality vector output that
>> many people wish for.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't really know enough about the vector API to do
> this myself.
>
> AFAICT, the main issue is that v.out.ascii uses
> Vect_set_open_level(1), whereas an application which displays filled
> areas needs level 2.
>
> --

Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-2402