[GRASS-dev] GUI toolkits

Stefan Paulick stefan.paulick at urbeli.com
Mon May 29 01:12:35 EDT 2006

Am Sonntag, den 28.05.2006, 18:59 +0200 schrieb Jachym Cepicky:
> The way, QGIS is controled, completly differs from the way, GRASS is
> controled. People (like me) like the way and will never use QGIS, because it is something strange.

? ... Oh, yes, Icons are made by the devil and do poison your brain. In
the short term, you will end up asking your boss for M$ products!

> I thing, GRASS should not be about nice and featurefull GUI. But it
> should have "high-toned" GUI - something, which would do things
> "the GRASS way", something, which would be fast, small (on diskspace
> and on the screen).

I started programming with dip switches, shifting in assembler hex code.
So PCs should never have a keyboard and MUST have output for 40x25 text
display. You get the point? ;-)

> Personally I thing, that the new gis.m is too "overstuffed", but as I
> did nothing, I say nothing, but "thank you", Michael and Cedric, well
> done!

A good GUI is worth pure gold when making presentations to buyers and
descition makers. Did you ever try to sell a command line tool? A GUI
gives identity to grass. This is one of the reasons why Microsoft
products sell much better than unix stuff.

> I do not want to be forsed to use QGIS, when I want to digitize my data,
> I do not want to be forsed to use QGIS, when I want display my data.

agreed - does gis.m force someone to use it?

> I do want "just rectify" my new raster image and so on.
> That's IMHO all, the "new" gui should be about (freedom?).
>
> QGIS and GRASS are looking like Ubuntu and Debian these days to me.

The masses do love Ubuntu; it does allows to use linux without creeping
along a command line. I feel bad, but I love Ubunto too....

Graphical interfaces ARE state of the art and DO help occasional user to
stay tuned. Grass without full featured GUI is like delivering a BMW
without gasoline and wooden tyres.

/Stefan