[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] updating kriging modules for grass 62

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Tue Nov 28 03:32:59 EST 2006

While I would really like to see someone except for
myself use GEM, I think kriging is really core GIS
functionality and should be part of the base modules
set.

I would also expect a lot of statistical modules in the
future to depend on R, seeing how powerful the R
spatial analysis stuff is.
There are so many useless dependencies in GRASS (Motif,
BLAS, LAPACK,...), so why not add one that is actually very
useful for a lot of people?

Or even better: why not include an up-to-date R shell and
the best spatial stat libraries in the GRASS base
distribution to make it easier for everyone to add
powerful spatial statistics modules to GRASS and use them
out-of-the-box?

I think R is excellent quality code that runs on all major
OS's and has no dependencies itself.

Benjamin

--
Benjamin Ducke, M.A.