[GRASS-dev] Holiday updates to NVIZ

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Nov 29 01:54:12 EST 2006

On 11/28/06 10:56 PM, "Helena Mitasova" <hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> I haven't yet chance to try it but the screen shots look very nice,
> much cleaner layout
> and hopefully more intuitive. I have a question - during the workshop
> in Lausanne I had
> a chance to watch people using nviz and one thing that people
> struggled with was figuring out that
> the list of available/loaded surfaces or vector files is under
> Current - there is just plain text with no
> indication that when you click on it a list of files will show up. Is
> there any way to make this more intuitive?
> It was also interesting to see how quickly people got working with
> paraview - apparently their GUI design
> is pretty good.
>
> As for the z-coord. slider for cutting planes - have your tried it
> for tilted cutting plane? It should move it
> in z-direction (you won't see anything happening if your cutting
> plane is vertical). I am not sure
> whether it actually works but that was the intention.
>
> Thanks a lot for all the great GUIs,
>
> Helena

Thanks for the input Helena. I agree with you about the current map list
widget. It was such a pain to change that I pretty much left it alone for
the moment so that I could focus on the other stuff. However, there is
probably a much better way to do it. Maybe a bwidget ComboBox.

I'll try the z-slider in cutting planes now that I know what to look for. Of
course, the shaded cutting plane is ONLY visible if it is vertical. Can this
be changed?

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University