[GRASS-dev] Re: v.to.db type=area: bug or typo?

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Mon Sep 25 06:24:17 EDT 2006

Radim Blazek wrote:

> On 9/21/06, Maciej Sieczka <tutey at o2.pl> wrote:

>> While updating the v.to.db manual I noticed that 'type=area' is
>> mentioned twice in the 'Examples':
>>
>> v.to.db map=soils type=area option=cat
>>
>> v.to.db map=soils type=area option=area col=area_size unit=h
>>

>> But v.to.db says:
>>
>> Error: value <area> out of range for parameter <type>
>>        Legal range: point,line,boundary,centroid
>>

>> It was reported on Feb 2006
>> http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=4044.
>>
>> Shall I update the description (replace 'type=area' with
>> 'type=centroid' ???) or is it a bug in v.to.db?

> No, that would not make sense,

I'm not sure what you mean by "not make sense".

What I mean, is that there is an example:

v.to.db map=soils type=area option=cat

which doesn't work, because:

Error: value <area> out of range for parameter <type>
       Legal range: point,line,boundary,centroid

But if substitute "area" with "centroid", like:

v.to.db map=soils type=centroid option=cat

it works.

Do you still think replacing "area" with "centroid" is not a good idea
(I'm propably missing something, sorry)?

> but I am not sure if area should be added to types. For example for
> length you can select line or boundary, but for area size you dont
> have any option.

If I use type=centroid it works - area size is uploaded to a specific
centroid.

> Probably the best is to add area type to default types

OK.

> but remove that parameter from examples as it is not significant.

Aha.

Maciek