[GRASS-dev] impressions on wx GUI

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Apr 12 15:10:22 EDT 2007

"Carlos \"Guâno\" Grohmann" wrote:

> I guess the display is working nice, it's fast. although most people
> coming from other GIS wants a display where you don't have to ask it
> to draw the maps. If you de-select one map, it would automatically
> draw the underlying layer (like QGIS).

This is probably an artifact of using an external program (g.pnmcomp)
to composite layers.

AFAICT, this shouldn't be necessary with wxPython, at least when
translucency isn't being used. It should be possible to convert the
alpha channel to a mask and use native wx functions to composite
layers.

Unfortunately, wxWidgets doesn't appear to directly support
translucency. It might be worth looking into using e.g. PIL for this.