[GRASS-dev] r3.stats and heapsort

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 17:13:49 EST 2007

Congratulations on the new module.

Sören Gebbert wrote:
> Because of the quadratic complexity for subrange calculations, the
> number of subranges is limited to 1 - 100000.

It is much better to add a warning in that case that the operation will
take some time, or let the G_alloc() fns do their job and report a
memory error (preferably right at the start of the run).

Some folks using GRASS will have access to supercomputers or big servers
with 28+GB RAM, we shouldn't artificially put limits on them because we
don't have that hardware ourselves. Or maybe it is common to have 16GB
64bit motherboards in the next few years, then we have to revisit the
code to let that be used.

Hamish