[GRASS-dev] Nviz animation wish

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Jan 25 00:53:39 EST 2007

Bob and Helena

I¹m not sure where xganim went, but it no longer compiles by default on  my
Mac. It was pretty klunky, but it served a potentially important role that I
miss. I wonder if something like it¹s functionality could be incorporated
into one of the nviz animation modules. That is, currently, the animation
modules (or at least the one that works well) let you interpolate to create
key-frame animations of different view positions. The result can be like a
fly-through or similar display.

It would be nice if you could interpolate to animate a change in surface
color maps, or even a change in surface maps. That is, if you could select
(as xganim did) a series of color maps and have NVIZ smoothly interpolate
through them to simulate such things as vegetation change. Even more
interesting (and close to my own heart) would be to select a series of
surface maps to interpolate and animate. This could display surface change.

I could do this with normal maps and TclTk in the 2D display, but it might
be slow (though maybe a way to get around that by pre-rendering). It would
be really neat to do this in NVIZ however.

I looked at the animation code and it looks like it calls a C (Togl?)
command: ³Ndo_framestep². Does this command take a color value or just a
positional value?

Just musing after attending a 3-day workshop on modeling.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213