[GRASS-dev] GRASS general abilities

Peter Fischer peter_7003 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 11:39:54 EST 2007

Hello,

I have some general questions about what ones can do with GRASS and what not.
I am not sure whether there is a viewer available to realize the following
funtionality in conjunction with GRASS: I want to visualize realtime data
(moving objects) over a map. Ideally it would be possible to have a
perspective view of the map like Google Earth or World Wind. Furthermore,
it would be nice to be able to select an object on the map (e.g. a building)
and to show it from the side in 3D (using OpenGL or sth. like that) in a
separate window. Therefore it should be possible to store such 3D information
(e.g. of the buildings) in a way to allow to extract the 3D model (based on
the coordinates on the map when it is selected) and to feed it into the
3D viewer.

So here are my questions in more detail:

Is it possible to

1. get the current camera view via asynchronous events every time the view
changes? Or do I have to solve that with a polling mechanism?
- Do you have some sample code doing this, preferably in python?

2. display moving overlays

3. display movements and directions of 3D Objects in realtime, e.g. 10 fps?

4. doing all this using a scripting language like python?

5. doing this using standard protocols like TCP/IP or HTTP?

6. platform independent (OSes Linux, MacOS, Windows)?

7. extend the funtionality via plugins?

8. licensing conditions, GPL or sth. like that and having to disclose my code?

9. support for special input hardware like spacemouse, joystick etc?

10. Is there an API?

11. What is the resolution for regions like Europe (meters/pixel)? - What is
the best available and what does it cost?

You would greatly help me in answering a part of if not all questions
(which would be awesome!) since I try to figure out whether GRASS
is suitable for a medium sized research project I am working on.

So if anyone could answer, many thanks in advance and best greetings.