[GRASS-dev] problems with mkftcap

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed May 2 15:36:07 EDT 2007

Sorry, responding to myself again...

On May 2, 2007, at 2:11 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> On May 2, 2007, at 10:41 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>> I'm having a different problem with mkftcap - it's getting hung up
>> doing nothing.  One on my processors maxes out and there is no
>> disk activity for the find operations.
>> I tried cutting out each part separately - find and fc-list - to
>> see if one of those was the problem, but no go.
>> Further cutting points to something wrong in the sed lines - if I
>> remove those so the raw find and fc-list results are returned, it
>> finishes.
> I found the source of my problem - in my .bash_profile, I set:
> export LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
> export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
> if I unset both, mkftcap works.  I also have:
> set dspmbyte = \"utf8\"
> but I don't need to change that for mkftcap to work.
> I set these (maybe naively?) so my Terminals match the default OSX
> charset of utf8.  The window display settings for Terminal.app
> default to utf8 (and I didn't need to change that either).
After trying various combinations of these settings, it appears I
don't need these any more.  They are probably leftovers in
my .bash_profile from the early OSX days when Terminal didn't handle
UTF8 directly very well.  It looks like the window setting takes care
of this now.

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.