[GRASS-dev] Re: More xtnmenu stuff

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Sep 23 20:40:49 EDT 2007

William and Moritz

On 9/23/07 1:25 PM, "William Kyngesburye" <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:

> Another problem (in addition to what Moritz found) - it's currently
> GRASS_ADDON_ETC, not GRASS_ETC_PATH.

I fixed both of these issues. Thanks for setting me straight.

> (and could change if we decide
> on a GRASS_XTN_PATH base path instead of multiple GRASS_ADDON_* vars)

I'd recommend keeping the xtnmenu.dat file in GRASS_ADDON_ETC because that
is already an existing GRASS environmental variable.

I'd also recommend using GRASS_ADDON_PATH for the same reason. Anything
listed in GRASS_ADDON_PATH will automatically run from the command line and
from in scripts (like the GUI) without an explicit path specification.

> And, for the cases where people do install addons in the GRASS
> installation, you might want to check for xtnmenu.dat in GISBASE.

No. This is the idea of a standard--so we don't have to check all the places
that people *might* try to put a menu file. If it is not in the standard
local (which is anywhere, but must be a place specified in GRASS_ADDON_ETC),
then it won't show up in the GUI.

> Lastly, how about inserting a separator between xtnmenu.dat's, when
> there are multiple ones found?  Sortof a visual cue that they are
> from different places.

Good idea. Done.

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies