[GRASS-dev] question about icons in GRASS 7

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Aug 6 11:01:56 EDT 2008

There are ones in ../lib/init too? What are they used for?

The packaging structure Glynn proposed is fine for linux, but is not
so good for Mac. It is much better for installation on the Mac if
GRASS goes into a *.app package (normally in /Applications/*.app), as
both William Kyngesburye and Lorenzo Moretti. Also, using the Mac help
system as they do makes GRASS help more accessible (i.e., in the help
library rather than only from within GRASS) than showing it via a
browser. I'm not sure what the packaging issues are for help, but the
only difference this would make to main GRASS packaging is that
$GISBASE would be a Mac *.app package folder rather than /usr/local.

I don't know how the /usr/local structure plays on Windows, but do
know that apps normally reside in a My Programs directory.

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University