[GRASS-dev] question about icons in GRASS 7

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Aug 6 11:27:09 EDT 2008

On Aug 6, 2008, at 10:01 AM, Michael Barton wrote:

> There are ones in ../lib/init too? What are they used for?
>
> The packaging structure Glynn proposed is fine for linux, but is not
> so good for Mac. It is much better for installation on the Mac if
> GRASS goes into a *.app package (normally in /Applications/*.app),
> as both William Kyngesburye and Lorenzo Moretti. Also, using the Mac
> help system as they do makes GRASS help more accessible (i.e., in
> the help library rather than only from within GRASS) than showing it
> via a browser. I'm not sure what the packaging issues are for help,
> but the only difference this would make to main GRASS packaging is
> that $GISBASE would be a Mac *.app package folder rather than /usr/
> local.
>
> I don't know how the /usr/local structure plays on Windows, but do
> know that apps normally reside in a My Programs directory.

Shouldn't make a difference on OSX .app package - /usr/local/* vs. /
usr/local/grass-x.x.x/* will install the same inside the app package
as Contents/MacOS/*.

Also, for the help, I currently use a symlink in the OSX help system
to the app package (and requires admin authentication to setup).  This
is one big problem that locks down the app to the installed location
(the other being Qgis hard library linking to the GRASS libraries).

But I just discovered a way to use Python to register a help package
at startup, so it looks like I can get rid of one app relocation
limitation soon.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an
illusion caused by the passage of history."

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy