[GRASS-dev] question about icons in GRASS 7

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Aug 6 12:20:41 EDT 2008

Michael Barton wrote:

> There are ones in ../lib/init too? What are they used for?

gintro.gif is the splash screen, help_loc_struct.png is used from
helptext.html, which is displayed by the Help buttion in gis_set.tcl.
There are also some .ico files, but I don't know how they are used.

> The packaging structure Glynn proposed is fine for linux, but is not
> so good for Mac. It is much better for installation on the Mac if
> GRASS goes into a *.app package (normally in /Applications/*.app), as
> both William Kyngesburye and Lorenzo Moretti. Also, using the Mac help
> system as they do makes GRASS help more accessible (i.e., in the help
> library rather than only from within GRASS) than showing it via a
> browser. I'm not sure what the packaging issues are for help, but the
> only difference this would make to main GRASS packaging is that
> $GISBASE would be a Mac *.app package folder rather than /usr/local.
>
> I don't know how the /usr/local structure plays on Windows, but do
> know that apps normally reside in a My Programs directory.

A single directory is preferable if you want GRASS to behave as a
monolithic application.

If you want it to behave as a collection of modules, the programs need
to go into $PATH, which means either installing the programs into a
particular location or ensuring that $PATH gets extended. Similar
issues exist for dynamic libraries and manual pages.