[GRASS-dev] 7.x Status Update

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Aug 12 13:24:15 EDT 2008

On 12/08/08 02:22, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Moritz Lennert wrote:
>
>> Seems to work great on the command line (aside a few questions below),
>> however, there seems to be problems in the guis:
>>
>> - tcltk gui (gis.m): I cannot display any vector maps; raster map
>> display becomes very slow when zooming out, with memory usage rising
>> steadily

Have to correct this: the behaviour is exactly the same as with the
wxpython gui: only if centroids are asked for, the map is displayed. The
difference was that the wx-gui displays centroids by default, whereas
the tcltk gui doesn't.

>> - wxpython gui: I can display vector maps, but as soon as I ask not to
>> display centroids, nothing is displayed at all
>
> Can you get the GUI to display the exact commands being used, and
> check whether the problem exists when the command is run from the
> shell?

Nope, everything runs fine from the shell, with e.g. the following command:

d.vect map=boundary_county at PERMANENT color=0:0:0 lcolor=0:0:0
fcolor=170:170:170 display=shape type=point,line,boundary,area
icon=basic/circle size=5 layer=1 lsize=8 xref=left yref=center llayer=1

But nothing shows up in the tcltk Map Display.

Looking at the different layers which are input into g.pnmcomp:

g.pnmcomp in=24212.2.ppm mask=24212.2.pgm opacity=1.00
background=255:255:255 width=642 height=256 output=24212.1.ppm

both 24212.2.ppm and 24212.2.pgm show up completely black and
24212.1.ppm completely white.

Idem with a line layer:

d.vect map=elev_contour_3m at PERMANENT color=0:0:0 lcolor=0:0:0
fcolor=170:170:170 display=shape
type=point,line,boundary,centroid,area,face icon=basic/circle size=5
layer=1 lsize=8 xref=left yref=center llayer=1

works perfectly on the command line, but cannot display in either gui.
What I do see, though is a straight vertical line at the far right of
the display area.

> I changed it to use the same variables as the PNG driver, i.e.
> GRASS_PNGFILE, GRASS_PNG_READ, etc. Specifically:
>
> 	GRASS_CAIRO_DRAWABLE
> 	GRASS_CAIRO_VISUAL
> 	GRASS_PNGFILE
> 	GRASS_PNG_MAPPED
> 	GRASS_PNG_READ
> 	GRASS_BACKGROUNDCOLOR
> 	GRASS_TRANSPARENT
> 	GRASS_PNG_AUTO_WRITE

Ok, thanks. Tried GRASS_PNG_READ and it works perfectly.

> [You can ignore the first two; I don't even know if that feature works.]
>
> It is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for the PNG driver, but
> there may well be factors which I have overlooked.

So, nothing else but PNG for now ?

> Also, the changes to the display library may have broken stuff. If you
> find a command which doesn't work as expected, it's worth trying it
> withe GRASS_RENDER_IMMEDIATE=PNG to determine whether the problem is
> caused by the cairo driver or by the changes to the display library.

Ok.

Moritz