[GRASS-dev] erratic behavior of v.in.ascii with WinGRASS

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Feb 4 21:45:58 EST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 7:23 PM, Hamish wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>> I've run into a problem running v.in.ascii for WinGRASS importing an
>> ASCII points file. Sometimes it works OK. Other times, it causes a
>> Windows dbf.exe error but still gets the job done. In most cases, it
>> causes a dbf.exe error and only imports the first point--with a coor
>> error.
>>
>> Here are a couple of other pieces of information.
>
> can you 1) run it with 'g.gisenv DEBUG=5' and 2) make the input file
> and exact command line used available.
>
> how about if you skip DB creation with '-t'?
>

> Hamish

We've used several files to test. But the main one is from the N.
Carolina demo data set, external files for import <http://
skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/grasswork/grassbookdat07/ncexternal/
schools_el_lu.txt>.

This is a messy dataset, which may be part of the cause. But OTOH, it
should behave the same way on all platforms and not cause a Windows
dbf.exe error.

v.in.ascii input=/Users/cmbarton/schools_el_lu.txt output=schools_lu
format=point fs=| skip=0 x=1 y=2 z=0 cat=3

I just tried it and saw it flash a malloc and dbmi error before it
crashed the GUI

I'll try the debug on my Mac. I don't think that will work on Windows.

Michael