[GRASS-dev] erratic behavior of v.in.ascii with WinGRASS

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Feb 4 22:23:16 EST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 9:45 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2008, at 7:23 PM, Hamish wrote:
>
>> Michael Barton wrote:
>>> I've run into a problem running v.in.ascii for WinGRASS importing an
>>> ASCII points file. Sometimes it works OK. Other times, it causes a
>>> Windows dbf.exe error but still gets the job done. In most cases, it
>>> causes a dbf.exe error and only imports the first point--with a coor
>>> error.
>>>
>>> Here are a couple of other pieces of information.
>>
>> can you 1) run it with 'g.gisenv DEBUG=5' and 2) make the input file
>> and exact command line used available.
>>
>> how about if you skip DB creation with '-t'?
>>

>> Hamish
>>

> We've used several files to test. But the main one is from the N.
> Carolina demo data set, external files for import <http://
> skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/grasswork/grassbookdat07/ncexternal/
> schools_el_lu.txt>.

that file was actually output from GRASS - this is the command:

r.what -f elevation,landuse96_28m null=-9999 < schools.txt >
schools_el_lu.txt

the original file is here (I assume that one works):
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/grasswork/grassbookdat07/
ncexternal/schools.txt

Apparently I haven't tried to import it. It was probably generated on
Mac.
I can try it out and report back,

Helena