[GRASS-dev] Re: include wxgrass or not in 6.3.0

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 18:31:57 EST 2008

Martin:
> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/WxPython-based_GUI_for_GRASS#Issues

to quote that here:
-----
 Issues
   1. rename $GISBASE/etc/wx to $GISBASE/etc/wxpython
   2. rename switch 'wx' to 'wxpython', e.g. grass63 -wxpython, g.gui
type=wxpython
   3. rename 'wxgrass' script to 'wxgui' (this scripts just runs
wxgui.py module)
   4. write g.gui module (draft)
   5. copy wxgui script to $GISBASE/etc/wxpython (not to
$GISBASE/scripts)
-----

> > (trac ticket #38 is still an open issue)
[--python ./configure changes needed for vdigit]

In light of those, specifically the exposed-to-the-user renaming tasks
(2,3), it seems clear to me that wx is not ready to be released yet.
It's not far off -at all-, but those architectural issues need be dealt
with, and (quickly) tested, first. I see no reason why all 5 of those
couldn't be handled in a week.

> Apparently removing old wxpython stuff from releasebranch6_3 before
> releasing 6.3.0 was mistake.

why? It seems to me it was ok- the problem was mentioned on the mailing
list, discussed, a course of action agreed upon and implemented.

> This code has been included in all RC's.

and it was not what we wanted to release, so it was removed. That's
what the RCs are for.

> I am afraid there is no good solution.
>
> * to re-add old wxPython stuff for continuity (RC's, release) - bad

no point,

> * wait for 6.3.1 (do not include wxPython in 6.3.0) - users cannot
> test it out

They can't test, but it's not ready yet, even in trunk.

> * include the current wxPython code in 6.3.0

But it's not ready yet, even in trunk.

> It seems to me that the relatively good solution is to copy the
> current wxPython code to releasebranch_6_3 now and not to wait for
> 6.3.1.

But it's not ready yet, even in trunk.

> Anyway it should have been done before first RC, my fault.

But it wasn't ready then in addons-svn, and it still isn't.

sorry for repeating myself, I'm not trying to be rude, just making a
point.

As I see it, we can release 6.3.0 now [11 Feb], finish above issues in
a week, copy gui/wxpython from trunk to releasebranch_6_3 then, release
that as 6.3.1RC1, then a week later release 6.3.1. [~ 1 March]
We could note in the 6.3.0 release annoucement that 6.3.1 with wx is
right around the corner.

Or we could finish above issues in a week, copy gui/wxpython from trunk
to releasebranch_6_3 then, release that as 6.3.0RC5, then a week later
release 6.3.0. [~1 March]

I think trac #38 will take longer to get right and well tested across
all platforms so should not be a blocker due to timeframe reasons. We
just accept that that's a work in progress.

Hamish