[GRASS-dev] Can I trust libtool?

marco.pasetti at alice.it marco.pasetti at alice.it
Mon Feb 11 11:46:09 EST 2008

Hi,

I started to build on Windows (MSYS/MinGW) latest releases of GRASS required libraries (zlib, libpng, and so on...) and I thought everything was going well... but (occasionally) browsing /usr/lib dir I found NO dlls of what I built, only .a and .la libraries, while I found dlls in /usr/bin... I assumed that was due to libtool (what a °*_°!!), on how it creates and links libraries; because I don't know so much about this matter, I then preferred to go on the safe way and use Paul's prebuilt libs; the same is for GDAL (so, I must use 1.4.1 againt latest 1.5.0); ...but, at the same time I'm building expat, gsl and geos using libtool!!! what a mess!!

If you tell me that I can trust the way libtool manages libraries and linking (I use latest MinGW release), I could restart all (how much time spent...!) and rebuild using latest libraries (for png, proj, gdal... and so on... and trying to add also tiff and jpeg support, and, probably, ffmpeg).

Thanks

Marco