[GRASS-dev] Building gui/wxpython/vdigit fails on Gentoo

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Feb 17 20:07:19 EST 2008

Hamish wrote:

> > anyway usage of wxPseudoDC class can causes problems during
> > compilation process. If we don't find reasonably good approach I will
> > take a look how to eliminate wxPseudoDC in vdigit C++ code (use wxDC
> > instead). I would prefer to use wxPseudoDC.

Personally, I would suggest avoiding it. Python extension modules
(_module_.so) aren't intended to be used outside of Python. I don't
know whether using them as normal shared libraries is going to cause
problems.

> wx 3.0 is due out soon* so a solution is already in the pipeline and
> will arrive before we /really/ need it (6.4.0).

Meanwhile, every Linux distribution is still shipping 2.6. FWIW,
Gentoo only added an ebuild for 2.8 a fortnight ago (2008/01/29).

At this rate, it looks like some distribution vendors *might* actually
be providing 2.8 by the time that 7.x is ready for end users. OTOH,
3.0 might not be in actual use before the end of the decade.