[GRASS-dev] Re: testing new svn

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Feb 17 21:34:18 EST 2008

Michael Barton wrote:

> > Note that wx-config is part of wxWidgets not wxPython.
>
> Right. I realize that to get wxPython, you also need wxWidgets on
> Linux. On the Mac, this is not a separate install.

FWIW, Gentoo's wxGTK ebuilds use the wxPython sources:

2.8.7.1:
	# we use the wxPython tarballs because they include the full wxGTK sources and
	# docs, and are released more frequently than wxGTK.
	SRC_URI="mirror://sourceforge/wxpython/wxPython-src-${PV}.tar.bz2"

2.6.4.0:
	# we use the wxPython tarballs because they include the full wxGTK sources and
	# are released more frequently than wxGTK.
	SRC_URI="mirror://sourceforge/wxpython/wxPython-src-${PV}.tar.bz2
			doc? ( mirror://sourceforge/wxwindows/wxWidgets-${BASE_PV}-HTML.tar.gz )"

If you install wxPython, it treats wxGTK as a separate dependency, but
they both get built from the same sources.

> Looks like there are only wxWidgets binaries for Debian and Ubuntu.
> None for Mac or other platforms (maybe a special installer for Windows).
>
> I'm trying to see if there is some way to compile vdigit for the Mac
> without having to compile the entire wxWidgets package (or wxPython)
> from source. Among other things, I'm worried what this might do to my
> existing wxPython (and I think wxWidgets) installation.

wxPython 2.5.3 onwards is designed to support having multiple versions
installed. So you should be able to have one <2.5.3 version and any
number of >=2.5.3 versions installed concurrently.

I have 2.4.2.4, 2.6.4.0 and 2.8.7.1, and haven't noticed any problems.

There is some information available at:

	http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/MultiVersionInstalls