[GRASS-dev] Re: testing new svn

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Feb 17 23:20:49 EST 2008

On Feb 17, 2008, at 7:34 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
>>> Note that wx-config is part of wxWidgets not wxPython.
>>
>> Right. I realize that to get wxPython, you also need wxWidgets on
>> Linux. On the Mac, this is not a separate install.
>
> FWIW, Gentoo's wxGTK ebuilds use the wxPython sources:
>
> 2.8.7.1:
> 	# we use the wxPython tarballs because they include the full wxGTK
> sources and
> 	# docs, and are released more frequently than wxGTK.
> 	SRC_URI="mirror://sourceforge/wxpython/wxPython-src-${PV}.tar.bz2"
>
> 2.6.4.0:
> 	# we use the wxPython tarballs because they include the full wxGTK
> sources and
> 	# are released more frequently than wxGTK.
> 	SRC_URI="mirror://sourceforge/wxpython/wxPython-src-${PV}.tar.bz2
> 			doc? ( mirror://sourceforge/wxwindows/wxWidgets-${BASE_PV}-
> HTML.tar.gz )"
>
> If you install wxPython, it treats wxGTK as a separate dependency, but
> they both get built from the same sources.
>
>> Looks like there are only wxWidgets binaries for Debian and Ubuntu.
>> None for Mac or other platforms (maybe a special installer for
>> Windows).
>>
>> I'm trying to see if there is some way to compile vdigit for the Mac
>> without having to compile the entire wxWidgets package (or wxPython)
>> from source. Among other things, I'm worried what this might do to my
>> existing wxPython (and I think wxWidgets) installation.
>
> wxPython 2.5.3 onwards is designed to support having multiple versions
> installed. So you should be able to have one <2.5.3 version and any
> number of >=2.5.3 versions installed concurrently.
>
> I have 2.4.2.4, 2.6.4.0 and 2.8.7.1, and haven't noticed any problems.

But these would be the same versions in different places. And I'm
speaking of wxWidgets, not wxPython. How would a source build of
wxWidgets interact or not interact with the wxWidgets pieces
installed with wxPython? Maybe not a problem, but I don't know. If
this situation can be avoided it would be nice.

FWIW, I emailed Robin Dunn to see if the dev package could be made
available with the Mac binaries. I don't know whether Robin maintains
the Mac binaries or it's someone else.

Michael