[GRASS-dev] Re: testing new svn

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Feb 18 16:17:37 EST 2008

Michael Barton wrote:

> >> Right. I realize that to get wxPython, you also need wxWidgets on
> >> Linux. On the Mac, this is not a separate install.
> >
> > FWIW, Gentoo's wxGTK ebuilds use the wxPython sources:
> >
> > 2.8.7.1:
> > 	# we use the wxPython tarballs because they include the full wxGTK
> > sources and
> > 	# docs, and are released more frequently than wxGTK.
> > 	SRC_URI="mirror://sourceforge/wxpython/wxPython-src-${PV}.tar.bz2"
> >
> > 2.6.4.0:
> > 	# we use the wxPython tarballs because they include the full wxGTK
> > sources and
> > 	# are released more frequently than wxGTK.
> > 	SRC_URI="mirror://sourceforge/wxpython/wxPython-src-${PV}.tar.bz2
> > 			doc? ( mirror://sourceforge/wxwindows/wxWidgets-${BASE_PV}-
> > HTML.tar.gz )"
> >
> > If you install wxPython, it treats wxGTK as a separate dependency, but
> > they both get built from the same sources.
> >
> >> Looks like there are only wxWidgets binaries for Debian and Ubuntu.
> >> None for Mac or other platforms (maybe a special installer for
> >> Windows).
> >>
> >> I'm trying to see if there is some way to compile vdigit for the Mac
> >> without having to compile the entire wxWidgets package (or wxPython)
> >> from source. Among other things, I'm worried what this might do to my
> >> existing wxPython (and I think wxWidgets) installation.
> >
> > wxPython 2.5.3 onwards is designed to support having multiple versions
> > installed. So you should be able to have one <2.5.3 version and any
> > number of >=2.5.3 versions installed concurrently.
> >
> > I have 2.4.2.4, 2.6.4.0 and 2.8.7.1, and haven't noticed any problems.
>
> But these would be the same versions in different places.

Right; that would conflict. AFAICT, the multi-version option only
applies to major versions; i.e. you can have 2.6.x and 2.8.x, but not
e.g. 2.8.7.0 and 2.8.7.1.

OTOH, I would be surprised if you have any external packages which use
wxWidgets 2.8.x; everyone else seems to be sticking with 2.6 for now.
If that's the case, then you should be free to do what you want with
2.8.

> And I'm
> speaking of wxWidgets, not wxPython. How would a source build of
> wxWidgets interact or not interact with the wxWidgets pieces
> installed with wxPython? Maybe not a problem, but I don't know. If
> this situation can be avoided it would be nice.

wxWidgets is likely to be installed the same way regardless of whether
you build it separately or as part of of wxPython.