[GRASS-dev] missing help for r.cats

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 00:25:55 EST 2008

Ivan wrote:
> 	Please note that this searches for ``r'', any character,
> 	``cats'', not for ``r'', period, ``cats''.  Hence, the list
> 	below has three false positives.
>
> 	The proper command to search for the latter (assuming POSIX
> 	`grep' [1]) is:
>
> $ grep -F r.cats *

Right. FWIW my method was 'grep -rI r\.cats *', but whatever route it
all gets to the same destination I guess...

I should have updated all of those when I renamed r.cats, oops. Done
now, all help page and GUI menu entries are updated in SVN/trunk, and
Markus has backported to the 6.3.0 branch.

r.category expands on the old r.cats as it can manage raster category
labels, whilst r.cats could only report them. There are interesting
things to play with like dynamic label names. It's very old library
functionality that has been somewhat hidden from the user for years.

Hamish