[GRASS-dev] Build winGRASS with Python and wxPython

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Feb 27 10:10:45 EST 2008

On Feb 27, 2008, at 5:30 AM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:58:58 +0100
> From: <marco.pasetti at alice.it>
> Subject: [GRASS-dev] Build winGRASS with Python and wxPython
> To: <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> Hi all,
>
> I installed prebuilt binaries of Python 2.5.2 and wxPython2.8
> (unicode-2.8.7.1-py25); GRASS configure help tells to specify
> python and wxpython config files... but I don't have those files!
> any suggestions?

There is a separate dev Windows package that you need to instal for
wx-config. This has been a confusing issue for many of us. There is a
dev package for Linux that is part of the normal group of
installations that you can install or not. The same files are
installed automatically in the Mac binary, but put in a different
place than Linux puts them. I saw a link for a Windows dev package on
the binary downloads page for wxPython and suppose that this where
you get these files for Windows--though I don't know where Windows
will put them.

That said, you don't need to install this unless you want to try to
compile the new in-development digitizer. Most people are still
having difficulty compiling this and I know that Martin is actively
working on it. It would certainly be helpful to him if you wanted to
try compiling the digitizer in Windows--but this isn't necessary to
run the rest of the wxPython GUI.

> I also had a problem trying to enable python in GDAL, because the
> distributed Windows installer of Python is built using Visual
> Studio, while GDAL (if built with MinGW) requires a MinGW built
> version of Python; this means that, if you want to enable Python
> bindings in GDAL, you'll need to build Python from source using MinGW.

You don't need to enable Python in GDAL to use the wxPython GUI. But
perhaps you are trying to enable Python in GDAL for other reasons?

Michael