[GRASS-dev] Plan to build Package to use GRASS from R

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 07:51:05 EST 2008

On 28/02/2008, Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Hamish wrote:
>
> > Roger:
> >> Some grass modules don't support --interface-description, but I think
> >> not many.
> >
> > r.mapcalc being the primary concern. Most of the remaining rest are
> > interactive things which wouldn't be useful from R. I don't think it's
> > a huge effort to do something special for r.mapcalc, chances are you
> > might want to do something special with it anyway.
> >
> > You can use the r.mapcalculator script as a frontend if you need one
> > with a working --interface-description.
>

> Right, had found that, thanks!
>
> I'd argue that r.mapcalculator will be good enough. If users need all the
> strength of r.mapcalc, they can say system("bash") and do it from the
> shell, returning to R by closing the shell. The history file for the
> under-shell will not, however, be recorded (at least not in the same
> place).

I actually managed to get r.mapcalc working quite nicely without any hassles
so far. I agree that this could be excluded from the do_GRASS() or at least
get internally a special treatment (r.mapcalc was actually one reason why I
used GRASS from R as it was much easier then using internal R mechanisms for
that.)

Rainer

Roger

> > Hamish

> --
> Roger Bivand
> Economic Geography Section, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of
> Economics and Business Administration, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen,
> Norway. voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 95 43
> e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no

Rainer M. Krug, Dipl. Phys. (Germany), MSc Conservation Biology (UCT)

Plant Conservation Unit Department of Botany
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch 7701
South Africa