[GRASS-dev] C replacement for d.vect.thematic

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 16:22:43 EST 2008

Michael Barton wrote:
> Regarding r.stats, I guess I was thinking that it can give you cell
> counts according to a number of predefined user 'breaks'. Thinking
> more, it could certainly be nice if there was a raster module that
> did the same kind of classification as you've done here with
> vectors. So, reconsidering, I agree with the name v.class...and now
> wish for an r.class too.

r.reclass with support for FP maps and an option to automatically
calculate the break points?

As for splitting d.vect.thematic into 3 d.vect.themearea/point/line
modules, that should be decided based on the command line option
interface. Do you mean cleaner to code or cleaner user interface?
How much overlap is there in the module options? GUI tabs can help with
complicated UIs a lot... (opt->gui_section)

If they share very similar UIs but the code is all different they
should be in one module compiled from multiple C functions+files...

The current d.vect is probably too complicated for one user module, but
having 400+ modules is also very complicated in another way.

Hamish