[GRASS-dev] sqlite and grass64

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Jan 11 14:54:06 EST 2008

On Jan 11, 2008, at 10:00 AM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:20:37 +0100
> From: "Markus Neteler" <neteler at osgeo.org>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] sqlite and grass64
> To: "Martin Landa" <landa.martin at gmail.com>
> Cc: GRASS developers list <grass-dev at grass.itc.it>
>
> On Jan 11, 2008 2:26 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I would like to ask you for your opinion... to use sqlite as default
>> db driver for grass64 (instead of dbf). What do you think?
>
> Yes, that would be very good. AFAIK:
>
> Functionality
> - it does all the DBF driver does and way more
>
> Portability
> - works on all common operating systems
>
> Installation efforts:
> - despite the base installation, zero maintenance
>
> Markus

AFAICT, SQLite has considerably more functionality than our current
dbf driver. I like it for a lot of reasons. A couple issues to
consider, however.

dbf is a widely recognized file format that can be read or imported by
very many other applications directly. While the SQLite database
engine can export into several interchange format, the native SQLite
file format is much less widely read by other applications.

Related to this, GRASS is very weak in interactive data management
capabilities. This constantly comes up when I demo GRASS. A saving
grace in this situation is the portability of the dbf attribute table
format. I can tell people that they can easily manage the attribute
tables in OpenOffice, for example. This is not the case with SQLite.

Martin Landa is crafting a very nice interactive data manager for the
wxPython GUI. When fully implemented, this will make the 2nd issue
much less important. But this is not the default GUI yet. It would
also be nice to be able to export an SQLite table to dbf format
(along with delimited text formats supported) from within GRASS to
deal with the 1st issue.

Michael

Michael Barton, Professor
Professor of Anthropology
Director of Graduate Studies
School of Human Diversity & Social Change
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA