[GRASS-dev] sqlite and grass64

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Jan 13 18:39:38 EST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008, at 4:40 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

>> AFAICT, SQLite has considerably more functionality than our current
>> dbf driver. I like it for a lot of reasons. A couple issues to
>> consider, however.
>>
>> dbf is a widely recognized file format that can be read or
>> imported by
>> very many other applications directly. While the SQLite database
>> engine can export into several interchange format, the native SQLite
>> file format is much less widely read by other applications.
>
> I would have expected most applications to access databases via ODBC,
> rather than trying to interface with DBMS-specific libraries,
> protocols or file formats directly.

Most desktop applications don't access databases via ODBC. Folks that
ommonly use large databases--and especially remote ones--will likely
be using ODBC on a regular basis. However, this is not the case for
many (perhaps most) users. They will have small to modest sized local
databases. Setting up ODBC is an extra step that will be complicated
and confusing for people who are not familiar with it, even via
GUI's. It shouldn't be necessary to simply access a small attribute
table of GRASS vector data. I don't particularly like dbf, but it IS
easily accessible from many apps.

SQLite Browser is a light-weight application that we could package
with GRASS if we wanted to switch to SQLite before making wxPython
the default GUI. It's nice, but my concern with it is that is appears
not to have been updated for a couple years. I found one other free
tool for the Mac to access SQLite databases (a couple others to
manage them only). There seems to be more available for Windows and
Linux.

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity